Return of Northwest Peanuts Prompts Protests

February 16, 2009 | Posted in: Airline News,Ask Rick,Delta,Northwest

Somehow, I missed this, but – at the beginning of this month, Northwest dropped its pretzel snacks in favor of peanuts.

No surprise, really – after all, Delta gives out peanuts – and at some point, both airlines will completely mesh and the whole shebang will be known as “Delta”.

But Northwest’s hometown paper, the Star Tribune, is getting a lot of angry comments from people concerned about peanut allergies. The airline’s response is that, upon request, a “peanut-free buffer zone” will be offered to anyone who is allergic to peanuts.

But here’s a question: why peanuts at all – when we’re in the midst of a notorious peanut/salmonella scandal? As one commenter in the Star Tribune put it, “Are they nuts?”

50 Responses to “Return of Northwest Peanuts Prompts Protests”

1. dave says:

Guess they never flew Southwest. If the peanut alergy is that severe then STAY HOME. For goodness sakes how politically proper are we going to get on everything in this world.

2. Mary says:

My son has a severe peanut allergy and we have had trouble with NWA prior to this latest change. We have unsuccessfully, in the past, requested peanut free flights. When they start handing out peanuts on our supposed peanut free flight and we protest they basically just shrug, or collect the unopened peanuts from those around us. The air in the plane circulates all throughout and peanuts being eaten in the front row can correlate to an allergy reaction for my son in the back of the plane. Last time we flew the mom in front of us whipped out a jar of Jiff and started making sandwiches for her kids — how did she get the peanut butter past security? I can’t even bring a jar of face cream half that size on the plane!!! I can’t imagine a worse place for a sever allergic reaction than on a plane — can’t call an ambulance and hopefully you have enough epinephrine to make it to the next airport! Does anybody out there get how tough this is for people with this amazingly severe allergy? Thank you for listening.

3. Dan says:

We are truly a nation of WHINERS. If you don’t want or like peanuts, DON’T EAT ‘EM ! Why punish everyone around you with your rediculous whining and belly-aching?

4. Cath says:

Maybe they should just stop snacks altogether for short flights. Would it really hurt any of us to forego our little pack of peanuts or pretzels and glass of coke?

For the past few years, I’ve either gone without or brought my own snack because I have celiac disease. That means I can’t eat the pretzels or drink many of the soft drinks they offer. Going without hasn’t seemed to hurt me any.

I think they should put more thought and effort into the food items on long flights instead of worrying about the short hops.

5. MarylandMom says:

What I don’t understand is why peanuts? Don’t people realize that many snack foods, including pretzels, are made in factories where peanut products are produced? Why weren’t these allergies prominent 20, 10 years ago? Why all of a sudden are peanuts the ‘death snack’?

6. Mike says:

I start to get tired of the “lobby” groups. It is sad that there are peanut allergies, but peanuts and other snacks have been handed out for years on airlines and other travels.

A little responsibility on the part of people with severe allergies. Be away and notify the attendants that you have allergies.

Everytime something is handed out as a snack, there is a lobby group protesting “think of the people allergic”. Eventually, it will get to the point that only water will be handed out…… Oh wait, there are people with plastic sensativities too….

And as far as the statement “What’s wrong with Pretzels?”…. That is a gross insensativity to people with wheat allergies.

7. Mary says:

I fly every week for business. I am allergic to lavender, perfume and cigarette smoke smells make me cough and often feel like I can’t breath well………..are you going to ban those too?

I can tell you from experience that those peanuts have been the only source of reasonably healthy food available on a 12-13 hour travel day and I appreciate them. If you are that allergic to peanuts……….what do you do in the grocery store, drug store or movie theater? See your doctor and develop a plan of care prior to flying but don’t punish the rest of us by lobbying to get rid of peanuts.

8. Steve says:

I get so tired of hearing from these idiots who complain about their peanut allergies. They expect the rest of the world to give up our needs to meet theirs. Delta has been serving peanuts for decades without no problems. They can and will make allowances for people with allergies.

Someone said “What’s wrong with pretzels?” – Well, I can’t eat pretzels. I appreciate the fact that Delta has allways served peanuts. This is one (small) reason why I consistantly fly over 100,000 miles a year on Delta.

If you can’t handle the smell of peanuts; don’t fly!

9. Elliot says:

Wow, how behind the times is DL/NW? Didn’t most airlines stop serving peanuts almost 10 years ago because of the allergy problems? And what is a “buffer zone” going to do for a child who can react with just a smell from tens of feet away?

And finally, are pretzels really that much more expensive?

10. MBR says:

How can you prevent someone from eating a peanut butter snack from their pocket or purse? What about the child that had peanut butter for lunch and is still “wearing” a trace on his clothing? It offers a false sense of security to have a “safe zone” free from all peanuts. It is not always preventable.

11. Peanut Lover says:

I like peanuts and they are a healthier snack than pretzels whose main appeal is salt. If you want to permanently remove peanuts to satisfy some customers then I and millions of others want to permanently ban cell phones during flights from ever appearing on airplanes. I think that’s a fair trade. A little salt for a quiet flight devoid of babling idiots on cell phones.

12. Kelly says:

At one point I must admit I probably would have been among those who are obviously uneducated & misinformed on peanut allergies. I too, may have simply said “well then don’t eat the peanuts.” That would have been my reaction before my 2 yr-olds throat closed up after eating a brownie. The brownie by the way didn’t have peanuts in it but was in the same plastic container as another batch of brownies that did contain peanuts. He did make it through that incident. I don’t believe that the teenage boy who kissed his girlfriend after having a peanut butter and jelly sandwich knew that she would die just as I don’t believe that any of you would willingly give a child a snickers bar, recees cup, or twix if you knew it would cut off their air-way. So why would Northwest? I won’t gamble with my childs life & as a longtime passenger of Northwest I am upset. What I don’t understand is why there are those of you who are upset with those who want a peanut-free enviornment when having peanuts or pretzels wouldn’t affect you one way or the other…

13. dave c says:

I love peanuts! I hope the don’t discriminate against me. If you can’t eat them then don’t!

14. jeff says:

people have allergies to almost anything, that should not let them rule the world of those who do not have the allergy. Allergic to nuts, take a boat,train or walk then.

15. Wendell says:

These people complaining about peanuts are crazy. Peanuts have been served on planes for 50 years with NO Problems, So tell the people who object to go fly a kite.
    The idea of a peanut causing a person to go into a spasim is just too wird.
    I hope the airlines continue to serve the peanuts and turn their ears off to the few crazy customers who complain.

16. Jim says:

At the risk of being accused of being insensitive – why do the vast majority of airline passengers have to be denied what they want as a cost of accommodating people with special needs?

Far less than one percent of airline passengers suffer from peanut allergies – ninety-nine percent do not. Just say no when offered the nuts. If someone’s allergies are so severe that they can not even be near people eating nuts then alternative travel arrangements should be considered because there is nothing to assure that another passenger will not bring their own nuts on-board.

In my opinion, it is time to return some common sense to our civic discussions about public accommodations. Airlines serve peanuts because that is something many passengers want. People with special needs should also be tolerant of the desires of the rest of society.

17. Derek Beckman says:

Why should I not be allowed to eat peanuts because someone else has an allergy. If you have an allergy than you should know what you can/can’t eat. Don’t eat them if they make you break out. This is crap that I can’t enjoy peanuts which happen to be my favorite.

I don’t like pretzels!

18. Chris says:

19. chuck says:

Holy Crap.
    If they bother you, DON’T EAT THEM. Don’t take them.
    Say, NO THANK YOU, I WOULDN’T CARE FOR ANY.

You people get more stupid by the day.

20. Dirk P. Diggler says:

I really do not understand. I am sick of pretzels and would prefer peanuts. If someone has a nut allergy then it is their issue to deal with not mine. I am allergic to cigarette smoke and people still do it. I am fat so people should not let me near food. Political correctness is screwing the masses. Look if you don’t like it fly another darn airline. Now quit whining you lousey liberals and get on with life!

21. charlie maultsby says:

anti peanut complainers need to get a life, If one can’t eat peanuts I’m sorry. The world should not revolve around you! If I would like peanuts it IS my choice. It’s time the majority stands up for our rights! People that have allergic reactions are at the best 5%.So, I want peanuts

22. jane says:

I have a 7yr old with a life-threatening allergy to peanuts. It is a disability under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 because it effects the breathing. In addition, the ADA Amendment Act of 2009 now includes “eating” as a major life activity. Serving this deadly allergen not only violates the disability rights of your staff who have this allergy, but the passengers who do as well. This is a dangerous allergy and much potential liability. I encourage them to rethink serving this item.

Understanding the Causes: http://www.peanutallergy.com/causes.html
    Ask The Experts: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/495881
    Exposure to peanuts can occur in three ways: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/peanut-allergy/DS00710/DSECTION=causes
    Peanut allergy not to be taken lightly: http://www.drpaul.com/library/08SEP2000.html
    Assessing the Real Risk of Airborne Peanut: http://www.drrobertwood.com/airborne-peanut-risk.shtml
    Peanut Allergy – Overview: http://www.webmd.com/allergies/tc/peanut-allergy-overview
    Peanuts Are the Leading Cause of Fatal Food Allergy Reactions: http://www.jhu.edu/clips/2002_09/05/chock.html
    Peanut allergy: where do we stand?: http://www.allerg.qc.ca/peanutallergy.htm
    FAAN: http://www.foodallergy.org

23. LHG says:

People are always complaining about peanut allergies on the airplanes I realize in some cases the reaction can be very severe. But if my child had allergies that were that severe I would have an epipen at all times. Please stopping complaining!! I dont recall anyone on a Delta flight having a severe allergic reaction.

24. Elaine says:

2 of my grandchildren are severely allergic to peanuts. Why do the airlines think that it is ok to leave 3 rows of seats when there should NOT be peanuts onboard at all. It is time to serve pretzels and leave the highly allergicf items off the planes.

25. Steve says:

Where does it end?? people are allergic to perfume, deodorant, wool and on and on……I suppose we need to strip down and not wear anything but a tyvek suit…..why should everyone suffer because of a few…..don’t even get me started on pretzels…some people can’t eat wheat or have salt….

26. Bob says:

Who takes care of these people while they’re on the ground? There are large numbers of people with different food allergies who make and ask reasonable accomodation. What makes the gooberphobes any different?

27. Virginia says:

I would like to respond to all of the people who think that people with peanut allergies are “whiners, complainers, are over-reacting, etc.” My particular favorite is #18 where Chris said “Irritants (which also include smoke, odors, fumes and other chemicals) irritate the inner surface of the nose, eyes, throat, or lung. They will not cause anaphylaxis, aka an allergic reaction. So why not have peanuts, I like peanuts.” You are incorrect Chris; there are people with severe enough allergies that the smell can trigger anaphylaxis, especially those people who have atypical anaphylaxis. And for everyone else; a plane has recycled air. There is no peanut-free zone on an airplane. Even for people who have well-controlled allergies (like myself), it can get uncomfortable. So my question then becomes, would you rather have the pilot make an emergency landing short of your destination because someone had to use their Epi-Pen in-flight? Because according to the new FAA regulations, as soon as someone uses an Epi-Pen on an airplane, the pilot has to radio in and make an emergency landing. Period. My favorite comment is #19 by Chuck, ďHoly Crap. If they bother you, DONíT EAT THEM. Donít take them. Say, NO THANK YOU, I WOULDNíT CARE FOR ANY.Ē Thatís a terrific idea Chuck, I should probably tell my husband he should have thought of that snappy comeback but I canít because he passed away in 1999 from severe anaphylaxis, brought on by peanuts. In an restaurant no less and after warning them of his severe allergies. So to everyone who thinks that we are complaining and whining, bury your best friend and soul-mate who died from something that could have been avoided, if only people had taken him seriously enough.

28. MJ says:

If peanut allergies are that severe, alternate transportation must be found. That’s the essense of Capitalism. The ADA was never intended to deny rights to the vast majority of the population. If Congress has recently amended it I guess that would be typical of this new facist Congress & Administration.

29. Jo-anne says:

Is there something wrong with being compassionate to those with live threatening allergies? Peanuts mean death to many people. For those with allergies it is the same as having a loaded gun on the plane. Can folks not do without for a few hours so everyone has the same opportunity to fly? They can do without cigarettes on the plane, why can’t the same thought process be applied to peanuts? Staying home is not an option since many need to fly for business reasons. C’mon folks, if you can’t be a bit caring , then forget about teaching your children to be nice to others.

30. Derek says:

There have been many articles showing this to be a widely exaggerated issue. There are exceptions but come on. This is something where the individuals should look out for themselves and not fly as needed. We do not need to outlaw peanuts. We all need to get some perspective.

31. Steelergirl says:

I agree that we get too politcally correct about way too many things, but 5% of the population has food allergies. Until you have a child with a peanut/treenut allergy, you don’t realize that sometimes an epi-pen (or two) is not enough, you need to get to a hospital ASAP. If someone eats peanuts and then touches an armrest or seat back and on the next flight an allergic person touches that spot, a reaction can occur. Yes, we wipe down the entire area as soon as we get on a plane, and you can’t control what other people bring on the plane, but not handing it to everyone on the plane can be helpful and reduce odds of ingestion of traces.

32. Len says:

Many people say they have a food “allergy” when in fact they have a food intolerance. Those who are intolerant to food, etc. may get a stomach ache or hives, but it’s no big deal. However, many people with true ALLERGIES have true anaphylaxis (their airways close and need immediate medical care). Even if you inject yourself with an Epi-Pen, you have to go to the nearest Emergency Room because there may be a second wave of symptoms. Those people who think having peanuts on an airplane is no big deal are badly misinformed, and should carefully read the web sites that Jane listed (#22); start with the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxsis Network. I never fly Delta or Continental because they just don’t know the facts about peanuts, and in the past I’ve purposely selected Northwest because of their old “no-peanuts” policy. I’m ready to never fly NW again if they don’t reverse this recent unfortunate, uninformed decision.

33. Bill says:

People who are so hypersensitive to peanut molecules that they have to wipe down an aircraft seat and back should not be in any public area (re: 31). Kids eat snacks (some with peanut components) in airport waiting areas, shopping centers, buses, etc. Restaurants in airports likely serve food with peanut components. If you have a life-threatening reaction to a common food product, you need to avoid all situations where you might be exposed. Air travel is NOT a necessity or basic right guaranteed under the Constitution. There is a limit to the public accomodation requirements under the ADA too.

34. Robin says:

Peanut allergy is now as common as juvenile diabetes. Incidence has steadily climbed for the last 15 – 20 years. Schools are managing numerous cases, so much so that there are those that ban peanuts/peanut products. Serving peanuts will affect air quality in the plane for allergic individuals. Probably not a great business move, Northwest…families with allergic member(s) will fly a competitor.

35. Peanut Flyer says:

What a bunch of candy-assed (or better peanut-assed) liberals – can’t eat peanuts, can’t be near people eating peanuts, can’t be in a plane with peanuts, can’t be at an airport with peanuts, can’t live in a world with peanuts. Good grief, people, get a sense of dignity and responsibility and get your peanut-hating asses out of the airport. Drive, take a train or walk – just don’t impose your problems on others.

36. Gail Shustek says:

Because peanut allergies are the number one allergy and because a severely allergic person can react to airborne particles in the plane’s cabin and because we are all in this together, airlines should not serve peanuts. There are plenty of other options. Yes, people do have severe allergic reactions to lots of ingredients, but peanuts are currently the most common cause of severe reactions and incidences of this allergy are rising at an alarming rate. It takes a village. Let’s have some compassion and reasonable analysis. And, no, no one in my family has a peanut allergy.

37. Virginia says:

Len:

Thanks for your comment; I forgot to list the Food Allergy Network which is a great source of information. There is a foundation set up under my husband’s name and all of the money the family has donated is specifically funding the peanut vaccination project.

38. Long Island says:

I do have a child with a peanut allergy, and I do worry about whether or not he’ll have a reaction on the plane. What I’m learning by reading here from people who DO want to eat peanuts on the plane is that they are missing some crucial information. (1) If enough people (and “enough” cannot be quantified as each allergic person reacts differently) open up peanut snacks, then peanut dust is out there in the open for all to breathe. An allergic person will then have a reaction. (2) Epi-pens CAN save a life, but not always, so it’s not a sure-fire cure. PLUS, once an epi-pen is used, you still have to get to an ER ASAP. How can you do that when you’re 30000 miles up?! (3) No one knows why allergies are on the increase, whether its peanuts or other items. There are theories, but none have been proven. (4) Peanuts (and tree nuts) are the most likely snack item to cause anaphylaxis. That is why they get such a high profile. How would you feel if you were the cause of someone going into anaphylaxis (and perhaps subsequently, death) because you couldn’t stand to be without a highly allergic food item?

39. Keith says:

Peanut/salmonella scandal? That has got to be the most irresponsible comment I’ve seen. Were the products served here part of the Peanut Company, or recalled? No. Please don’t use your media influence to cause more panic than what is necessary. That is absolutely irresponsible journalism.

40. Laurie says:

PLAIN AND SIMPLE. MOST OF THE PEOPLE COMPLAINING ARE THOSE LIKE MYSELF. WE BOUGHT OUR TICKETS FROM NORTHWEST WHILE THEY WERE NOT SERVING PEANUTS. NOW MY 14 YEAR OLD GETS THE NEWS JUST WEEKS BEFORE HER FLIGHT THAT WE CANNOT BOARD. HOW CAN ANYONE FIND THAT FAIR? DO YOU THINK IT WOULD BE FARE TO CHANGE YOUR MORTGAGE INTEREST RATE JUST BECAUSE YOUR COMPANY MERGED WTIH ANOTHER. COME ON PEOPLE, IT’S A SNACK ON A FLIGHT THAT CAN KILL 4% OF THE POPULATION. THAT’S THE SAD PART ABOUT AMERICANS, EVERYTHING IS ABOUT FOOD. FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT DON’T HAVE A CHILD WITH PEANUT ALLERGIES, CONSIDER YOURSELVES LUCKY BECAUSE YOU REALLY HAVE NO IDEA HOW HARD THESE CHILDREN’S LIVES ARE. WHERE IS COMPASSION IN OUR WORLD? SO MANY OF YOU LEAVE COLD HEARTED THINGS SUCH AS STAY HOME. THAT WAS NOT WHAT NORTHWEST PROMISED WHEN WE BOUGHT OUR TICKETS WHICH IS WHY WE USE THEM ..

41. Laurie says:

P.S. AND TO THE PERSON THAT MADE THE COMMENT REGARDING THE ADA … ACTUALLY THESE CHILDREN ARE COVERED BY THIS ACT. YES THE ADA HAS LIMITS NOW IN SOME AREAS RE: THIS ALLERGY, BUT PERHAPS WE WILL BECOME MORE LIKE CANADA. IN CANADA, THERE ARE CURRENTLY NO PEANUTS IN SCHOOLS OR PUBLIC BUILDINGS!!! 4% OF THE POPULATION HAS FOOD ALLREGIES, ADD TO THE FACT THAT THE AVERAGE HOUSEHOLD IS FOUR, SO THAT’S 16% OF THE POPULATION FIGHTING THIS. ADD TO THAT THE GRANDMAS, GRANDPAS, AUNTS AND UNCLE, AND FRIENDS … THERE ARE A LOT OF PEOPLE FIGHTING THIS FOR SOME SIMPLE REQUESTS .. AND WE WILL EVENTUALLY MAKE OUR COUNTRY A LITTLE MORE COMPASSIONATE AND PEANUT FREE IN PUBLIC AREAS. I WILL FIGHT THIS WITH “MANY” OTHERS UNTIL THE DAY I DIE ….

42. Sara says:

I am 14 years old. I am reading this and I am sad to think so many people in this world don’t care about me or any others with peanut allergies. You only care about yourself and a small bag of peanuts being served on a plane. You wouldn’t give up this small thing in life to help others like me fly to places we cannot drive to? May God judge you some day for those words. To Ms. Virginia in no. 27 .. I will fight for myself my entire life along with lots of others for this cause. I am sorry your husband died. I have almost died a few times, it’s scary. You are right, if it were only that simple and we could just stop eating nuts. I understand mistakes happen, I had to learn this a long time ago. And I know all about others makign mistakes. But others just don’t care and make mistakes that way. That is where my problem is. I am helping in the Food Allergy Walk to help raise awareness in my state this fall. I am the student advocate .. My biggest prayers, are that we will become like Canada but in AMERICA .. no smoking, peanuts, or perfumes in public areas. The ADA does cover my disability .. but has its limits right now. I must say “right now”. I am very sad to read most of your rude comments. You live with this like me and then you can make comments regarding my peanut allergies. I fear every meal. I am limited on what I can do in life. I can not live an average teenage life. Everything about my life is limited. And yes, I have a diabetic brother. His condition limits him, but nothing to the extreme of what I go through. Just ask him … It seems Delta is being bribed by the Peanut Industry and they even admit in their statements that they are helping the peanut industry because they are in their state. But soon they will see how much money will be lost by the number of families that discontinue their loyalty to them because of this condition, perhaps they will change their minds. I thank my mom and dad, who advocate who helped me write this. There are a lot of people that need to further their schooling before making such rude comments …

43. Scott says:

Do not comment on issues where you obvioulsy completely ignorant ! I will try not to use big words so that you can understand… I am tired of hearing things like, “If you can’t eat them, don’t.” and “why should everyone “suffer.” Steve in #25 actually said “suffer.” You have NO IDEA what is means to suffer. Peanut allergies are different because even the SMELL can cause a reaction that may result in death. Is that tiny little bag of peanuts from the airline so important to you that you would risk an emergency landing or even somebody’e life. As someone once said – my “child’s right to breath outweighs somebody else’s desire to eat peanuts.” Nobody with food allergies will eat what is served on a plane. They will ONLY eat what they have brought with them. Why not serve pretzels instead? There somebody can make a choice not to eat them. Besides they are cheaper than peanuts and the airlines, can save some money. If you want to look at the financial side, look at the “special meal” section of many airlines. There are more than ten different options for special meals available. Many are medical related: diabetic meal, low sodium, even gluten free (this is for people with gluten allergies, Steve). For these types if meals, I applaud the airlines. However, did you know that there are special meals labeled as “Vegetarian” and “Hindu”meals. The airlines go through a lot of expence to be politically correct to accommodate CHOICES people make in thier lives. If they don’t like what is served on the plane, they can bring their own food. However, medical conditions are NOT a choice.

44. Kat says:

The people who say “If you donít want or like peanuts, DONíT EAT ĎEM ! Why punish everyone around you with your rediculous whining and belly-aching?”

Are ignorant fools and should look into what a severe peanut allergy actually entails.

#27 Exactly! No one wants the plane to make an emergency landing 20 minutes into a flight because of someone dying from anaphylaxis (even if that person has there epi-pen, with peanut dust circulating the entire flight, one epi-pen will only buy you so much time) This is one of the best comments because these people can see just how selfish they are, and hopefully actually see well hmmm maybe they shouldn’t serve peanuts.

You selfish people who think it is just a choice for us, peanut allergy sufferers, whether or not to take the bag of peanuts, really should get educated before you make inaccurate statements and make yourselves look pretty stupid, ignorant, and rude.

And to the people who say, why don’t they just make sure they carry their epi-pen. OF COURSE WE bleeping carry our epi-pen, if not MULTIPLE. I try to avoid having to use my epi-pen because as you WOULDN’T know or even care to understand, but having to use your epi-pen makes your heart race so fast you think you are having heart attack, and leaves you unable to function for days or even a week. Yes of course we use them and have and will continue to use our epi-pens, but for god sakes don’t think an epi-pen is something trivial. An epi-pen is a huge shot filled with epinephrine, look it up. And just because we carry them then it’s okay to eat peanuts around us! ugh

Peanut allergy sufferers are a small part of the population, but our number is growing. Just because we are a minority, I think we deserve to travel on airplanes without having to deal with ignorant airlines who think a “peanut-free zone” is the solution or refuse to allow us to fly on their airline at all (that is discrimination in my mind). Of course peanut-free zones do not work!! The air is recycled- hence peanut dust is in the air system throughout the duration of the fight.

45. Beryl says:

I too thought that peanut allergies were a joke. Then I had two daughters that are both allergic to peanuts. Allergies to peanuts are greatly on the rise, it isn’t the small number everyone thinks.

For all you people who think this is a joke and to still serve peanuts on flights. Maybe you won’t mind if the flight has to make an emergency landing because someone has an anaphylaxis reaction. An Epipen is just designed to keep the person alive until they can be treated at the emergency room. I don’t think you would think it was a joke if you missed your connecting flight or had to take a plane the next day because someone needed immediate medical attention on board. Grow up! This is serious. No we can’t eliminate peanuts from life, but the stronger the concentration, the more likely they will present a problem to someone with the allergy.

46. Mike says:

OH. MY. ACHING. BACK.

I like peanuts.

If you don’t, OH WELL!!

If you’re SO dang allergic to them—-TAKE A BLOODY TRAIN!!

47. Rose says:

I acquired a peanut allergy when I was 25. I love peanuts and peanut butter – now snacks like that will kill me.
    Who knows why I acquired the allergy – I hope all of you ignorant people acquire the allergy as well! Then you would understand.

48. Steven says:

I have allergies to a couple of other foods that severely limit what I can eat. I’m also diabetic. There are not many foods that I can eat that can be brought on airplanes. Nuts of various kinds are just about the only protein option I have available that will travel well, and unfortunately all nuts are common allergens for someone. Especially unfortunately for those who are allergic to them, peanuts are the most readily available for purchase behind airport security. This means, in practice, that I usually have to travel with peanuts if I want to eat on the plane at all. A peanut-free flight would be hard on me. A nut-free flight would be impossible.

Steven,

I hear you. But while I’m aware that some airlines have stopped serving nuts at one point or another (and some have resumed serving them), I have yet to hear of any airline declaring its planes “nut-free zones” – so you can keep bringing your own supply aboard.

Cheers,