Calendar Pinpoints New Peak Travel Surcharge Dates in Summer

January 27, 2010 | Posted in: Airfare News,Airline News,Travel Tips

KEY WORDS

UPDATE: Continental has added surcharge dates; Alaska is matching on their AA/DL codeshare flights only.

Last night, United Airlines added a bunch of “peak travel day” surcharges onto dates through the summer vacation season in June, July and August; these latest surcharges are $10 each-way.

Earlier (on Monday), Delta added new dates , and American joined on Tuesday. Note: Unlike a bag fee, the surcharge is not presented to the airfare purchaser as an “extra” cost; it is rolled into the price of the ticket.

To make it easy for everyone to see the precise dates – and costs – of all these surcharges, I’ve put together a Peak Travel Day Surcharge Calendar – and the calendar includes all months from February through August.

Take a look as you plot your escape to your next getaway with cheap flights from FareCompare -avoid the “surcharge” days and save yourself a buck or two.

6 Responses to “Calendar Pinpoints New Peak Travel Surcharge Dates in Summer”

1. d j says:

It may be time for the government to step back in.When the prices were controlled you knew what it was (no surprises).You could bring a couple of bags and there was no cost added.I don’t like fixed prices any more than anyone else.But the airlines are really getting out of hand and they need to be dealt with.

DJ,

I see your point; on the other hand, prices are relatively cheap these days. In fact they are so cheap, most of the airlines aren’t making money. So they turn to new revenue streams like bag fees, etc. but the beauty of that (“beauty” being relative) is that we don’t have to check a bag, or buy the airline’s food or…well, you see where I’m going. And if you use the Surcharge Charts, you can avoid paying that, as well.

It’s not a perfect system, but we can adapt to it. We are adapting to it, difficult as it sometimes is.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.

3. J says:

I’m so sick of these extra costs. First it was security, whick I understand completely, the check in bags, yes we don’t have to check a bag, but everyone is doing the same, most of the time no room for your bag and last but not least ,which I’m sure they’ll come up with new thing to get you, surcharges for “Peak Travel Day”, give me a break the only days that have no surcharges are Tue. and Wed., our family is boycotting, we’re not going to fly this spring break and this summer vacations.

4. Denise says:

Do they want us to NOT fly any more?

J,

I can understand your frustration, but base airfare prices are cheap these days and there are plenty of deals (see our Deals Blog at http://deals.farecompare.com/ and I urge you to sign up for alerts so you’ll know when the cheapest fares to your favorite destination are available – you can do that here http://www.farecompare.com/when-to-fly/twitter/ ).

Yes, flying can be frustrating, but – never say never. I hope FareCompare can help you find a deal that will change your mind.

Denise,

On the contrary, they want you to fly more than ever, which is why base airfares are so cheap. The surcharges, bag fees and all the rest can be avoided, and my posts are meant to help you do just that. I hope they help!