Oh No! Capt. Sully of “Miracle on Hudson” Fame Retires

March 3, 2010 | Posted in: Flight Attendants,News,Pilots,US Airways

capt sully miracle on hudson retires

This is bittersweet: Capt. Chesley “Sully” Sullenberger who gently landed US Airways Flight 1549 on the Hudson River after a bird strike disabled both engines, is calling it a day.

Also retiring is flight attendant Doreen Welsh, who was one of the calm and collected crew members who made sure all 150 people on the “miracle” flight, got out alive.

We’ll probably learn more about this soon, but at the moment, I’m not seeing any specific reason for these retirements – although both are 59 years old and have been with the airline for decades

Said US Airways CEO Doug Parker, “We will miss them and thank them for all they have given to our customers during their years of service with our airline.”

They will indeed be missed. Very much. And I thank them both for their service.

6 Responses to “Oh No! Capt. Sully of “Miracle on Hudson” Fame Retires”

1. TheSuss says:

The A320 that Sully put down in the Hudson had two engines, not four.

TheSuss,

You’re absolutely right and I knew that it was two engines, but somehow the error crept in. It has been corrected.

Thanks for your help.

3. Finance Guy says:

Something tells me that these two can provide much more as safety or emergency training instructors, than continuing as a pilot and flight attendant. Their calm and patience in a time of crisis is unmatched, and everyone can benefit from their actions and training. Whatever they do in the future, they are indeed heroes forever.

Finance Guy,

Agreed. I can see them improving/creating safety plans/initiatives for corporations, not necessarily involved in the airline industry.

Probably make wonderful speakers as well.

5. MARILYN SCHULTZ says:

One just has to say the name “SULLY” and everyone knows who we r talking about. He has touched the world!
    I am a CANADIAN, living in CANADA, having flown all over the world, I have watched with very much interest the heroic actions of “SULLY” and the crew and anything else I can see about “SULLY”
    He truly is a hero!!!!
    GOD bless you as you look forward to a new chapter in your life!!

Marilyn,

And of course, Sully would say he was “just doing his job.”

Thanks for writing,