The coming vacation season is not like last year. So, I’ve been thinking about how you can get the cheapest possible airfare for any trips you’ll be taking this spring or summer.
Of course, you’ll want to start at FareCompare.com. But there are other things to keep in mind, too – including when to shop, and when to travel. So take a look at these tips – and have a wonderful (and cheap) trip.
Top 5 Tips to Get the Cheapest Airfare this Spring and Summer
1. Don’t procrastinate: Last year, procrastinators were rewarded with last minute discounts; not this year. Begin shopping a few months before you plan to travel, and make your purchase no later than a month before you go.
2. Shop for airfare on Tuesdays through Thursdays: The airline sales are short-lived – they typically last 3-days or less – and tend to debut on Tuesdays (or sometimes late Monday).
3. Travel on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays: These are typically the cheapest days to travel, and some airfare sales specify travel on these days; if you can only put half your trip on one of these days, do so and you’ll at least get half the benefit.
4. Opt for connecting flights: Sure, non-stops are more convenient, but sometimes connecting flights are half the cost.
5. Pack light: Use a carryon to avoid bag fees that can be as much as 30% of your total ticket price; it’s an easy way to save.