Bathroom Buzz: Ryanair to Add Pay-Toilets on its Cheap Flights

April 7, 2010 | Posted in: Airfare News,Airline News

ryanair pay toilets cheap flights

Incredible: According to the Daily Mail, Europe’s big discount airline, Ryanair – as threatened earlier – will begin putting coin-operated pay-toilets (or pay-lavatories) on its aircraft.

The airline is said to be “working with Boeing to redesign the cabin and develop coin-operated toilets on 168 of its planes.” No date has been set.

To add insult to injury, Ryanair wants to reduce the number of its onboard lavatories – so there would just be one available to as many as 189 passengers (which means Ryanair could shoe-horn in another six seats or so).

What will it cost? One euro or one British pound, which works out to about $1.33 or $1.52 respectively.

One comment on the Daily Mail website: “The only answer if for everybody to refuse to buy any drinks!” Actually, that might hit Ryanair where it hurts, because according to the airline’s menu, they charge about $3.50 for water and about $2.70 for tea.

Other comments I’ve seen:

• “What if somebody onboard has a nasty, upset stomach?!!!”
  • “I’ll be asking the stewardesses for an empty cup…”

It’s bad enough that Ryanair just raised bag fees – but this? I don’t even think Spirit would stoop this low

24 Responses to “Bathroom Buzz: Ryanair to Add Pay-Toilets on its Cheap Flights”

1. d j says:

DON’T FLY THEM…. PUT THEM OUT OF BUSINESS!!!!!!

dj,

Well, there’s that – or go before you board.

Best,

3. frostysnowman says:

How could they stop the first person to the loo from holding the door open for the next person, and so on? How is this legal or even sanitary? Jeez!!

Frosty,

I don’t know the answers to your questions – just passing along the info as a public service.

Best,

5. Phil says:

Why wouldn’t this be illegal? If they choose to only have 1 lav on board, well, that’s the airlines choice, but to charge for it’s use seems to go beyond good business.

I understand that Ryanair is one airline that has set Europe’s other carriers on their ear, but to assume that the human body can always be timed to only use restrooms on the ground.

I thought some of the European countries that Ryanair served would make that illegal?

I understand that an airline and an airplane needs to be flying to make money, isn’t there better ways of maximizing revenues without punishing our blatters and our wallets.

I believe that either by accident or on purpose the cabins will be smelling like urine and their cost cutting will cost them customers and increase their overall costs. No one wants to quit a job but people be leaving that airline because they will become the target of the abuse.

The deregulated era could be coming to an end if airlines continue to degenerate to open, flying restrooms. Maybe that’s what many of the old airlines want because then they can become complacent, expensive and unworried about opinions.

6. Allison says:

At this point maybe we can seats on the wings for an added experience and then if you gotta go well let it rip

7. ac/dc says:

Guess that means no babies or kids on flights with their on-going emergencies that would require access to a restroom immediately.

8. Anthony says:

Do not plan to fly Ryanair nor Spirit if imposing such fees.

9. Jen says:

While shocking to see, it’s not a bad idea (although it should be more like a quarter). Have you ever sat next to the bathrooms on a plane? People are inconsiderate, lining up with their butts in your face, making a mess, leaving the door wide open… The last flight I was on they had to shut down the bathroom and cut off drink service because the toilet was overflowing. Maybe this will make people go only when they really have to. It’s like going to a McDonald’s in the city…to keep homeless people out, you have to buy a token for the bathroom.

Same with the carry-on fee, the airlines need to crack down because it’s getting out of control. These days if your seat is in the front of the plane you’ll be lucky to get your bag on too. Personally, I think each seat should have it’s own assigned baggage bin and that’s all the space you get.

Phil,

So you’re suggesting we have a choice between “cabins smelling like urine” and “complacent, expensive and unworried” airlines? I like to think there will always be a middle ground.

Allison,

Careful! Ryanair might charge extra for seats on the wings, because of the “enhanced view”. LOL

Cheers,

ac/dc,

You make a good point, but – haven’t you ever been on an airline with a full-bladdered toddler where all the restrooms are occupied? Sometimes, there’s not a lot you can do…

Thanks for writing,

Anthony,

I’m curious – do you fly either of those airlines now?

Jen,

I like the idea of assigned bin space, but I wonder if it would work, logistically…

Cheers,

15. Norb H says:

I’m reminded of the time that I flew from Chile to Atlanta. I had eaten some spoiled seafood about 9 hours before the flight. While on the plane, I experienced vomiting and diarrhea for about 4 hours, going to the restroom about every 20 or 30 minutes. If I would have had to pay, I would’ve had to stay in the restroom for about 4 hours. It would have been too expensive to “pay as you go”. BAD IDEA!!!

16. Ed Freeman says:

As a gentleman of a certain age who has just had his prostate removed, it would be extremely unwise for me to fly on any plane without quick and easy access to a lavatory.

Next step: Ryanair will no doubt hit on the marketing wheeze of selling incontinence pads off their refreshment trolleys. For a reasonable fee, of course.

17. Julia says:

Each person is very different in their needs for comfort but this seems like an added burden for the elder passengers, the small kids, the pregnant ladies and the hurried business traveler who just didn’t have time to stop by the bathroom while running between appointments. Don’t forget the fliers who get nervous. I can’t think of any group of people who would benefit from this situation including the airlines for the small amount of money it might generate. Am I missing something?

18. Cigar Jon says:

TLC Airlines (Take Your Chance) will go one better than Ryan. Starting next week, you’ll be able to buy pre-paid “lav” cards for entry to those little rooms. Pay for nine visits and get the tenth free! btw The card readers on the doors accept Mastercard and Visa, but not American Express.

Norb,

Sorry for your absolutely terrible experience.

Ed,

Please! Don’t give them any ideas!

Best,

Julia,

I suspect the real benefit is – publicity. Simply getting the name “Ryanair” out in wider circulation. You know the old saying: “There’s no such thing as bad publicity…”

Thanks for writing,

22. Rachel says:

Hi Rick,

I had heard big things about Ryanair before I moved to Europe and was excited to use them to travel cheaply. Ryanair = cheap was all I heard.

Wrong! In my area of Germany, the nearest Ryanair airport is in the middle of nowhere meaning extra train ticket on top of anything. Not only that, but many of the major places Ryanair flies are smaller airports that require you to pay for a shuttle or train to get where you really want to be, adding another cost.

I’ve been looking for an airfare to Barcelona and was excited to see that Ryanair had a “super cheap” flight from my area. By the time I added it up with the fees for everything I needed (needed, not wanted…no “luxuries”), the final fare was exactly the same as the major airlines! And that was not considering the extra 80 euros I would have to spend on transportation to the airports alone.

I really wonder how long Ryanair can hold on to this as many other airlines in Europe are offering deals that don’t look flashy, but in the end are cheaper than Ryanair with better service.

23. chuck says:

What do they intend to offer as an alternative, I wonder…?

I mean, I’d be happy to pee on the floor up in first class….

Rachel,

You make an excellent point: if traveling with Ryanair, pay attention to the airports – and figure out how to get to them (and whether “getting to them” is worth your while).

Thanks for writing,