We Got Lucky with Airport Security. Too Bad We Had To.

May 5, 2010 | Posted in: Security,Travel Safety,Travel Tips

KEY WORDS

I’m sure by now you’ve heard about the capture of the suspected “Times Square Bomber”.

Maybe not all about it. I mean, do you know how close this guy was to getting out of the country?

It makes you wonder about our airport security. And it makes me incredibly disappointed – and I note in this new article called, “‘We Got Lucky’ is No Way to Conduct Airport Security” – take a look, I think you’ll enjoy it.

8 Responses to “We Got Lucky with Airport Security. Too Bad We Had To.”

1. Cliff says:

I completely disagree. I think the TSA is the biggest waste of money since the automatic pay increase went in to effect for Congress. The TSA is just an organization to give us that warm fuzzy feeling. As they have proved time after time they have little effect on stopping anybody.

2. Roger says:

It’s hard to blame the TSA for this one though, since the suspect didn’t try to take prohibited items through the checkpoint.

The only failure I see is the airline failed to act on the electronic notice it received about changes to the no-fly list. In the end, the backup procedure of sending the final passenger list to customs and immigration allowed the suspect to be detected.

From the airport security point of view, everything didn’t work exactly right, but the system was layered enough that a no-fly passenger was identified and removed before departure.

It was close though.

Roger

3. Nelson Musha says:

If the Emirates flight had been asked to return to JFK after it left U.S. airspace, would it have to comply?

Cliff,

I understand your frustration – believe me. But I think it can be a deterrent to a lot of nuts, no?

Roger,

“Close” is the word, alright. Thanks for your thoughts.

Nelson,

Well fortunately, that wasn’t required in this case. If I have a moment, I’ll do some research on your question – right now, I don’t know the answer, but I suspect that once a plane is out of a country’s airspace, it does not have to answer to that country’s authorities – though I could be wrong.

Anyone else know the answer?

7. rainyb says:

Shouldn’t the no-fly list be tied electronically to the passenger check-in system?? These manual checks “within 24 hours” is much too late, esp with ‘suspects’ in a rush to leave the country, like this last guy ;o(

8. Roger says:

Rainyb,

You know, that is a darned good point. If you make a post on Twitter, Google can find it immediately if a relevant search comes along. Why can’t the government do that to electronic ticketing system?

Answer: There is no reason.